Sunday, March 21, 2010

Repeat after me: I will not spend money on books beyond my means on Amazon, I will not spend money on books beyond my means on Amazon, I will not spend money on books beyond my means on Amazon....

maybe if I say it a few thousand times I'll get the message.

But its money well spent. So I go without coffee for a week, what's the worst that can happen?

Actually, I should probably cut out something else. Books and coffee go together like..Quixote and Sancho, like Frodo and Sam, like...ok, now I'm babbling.

Sorry for wasting your time dear reader. Am working on a review of The Last Light of the Sun, which refuses to be a review and keeps insisting on being a critical essay. That and I'm rereading The Name of the Wind by Pat Rothfuss. The fourth time through and the book still has its staying power. And this is strange for me because I rarely reread a book I love more than twice. What's hitting me this time about NOTW is the style. I can't put my finger on it but the sentences, their construction, the flow and the poetry. Its not a browbeating poetry either, no longwinded discursions of purple prose. Its sublte, restrained, it hovers around the edges of the sentences. How the hell does he DO that?

I never attempted a proper review of the book because I was afraid I'd never do it justice, or manage to articulate what it is that affected me so profoundly. A lesson that I should probably have taken to heart in attempting to review The Last Light of the Sun.

There's a question for reviewers I'd like to ask if I had the forum: Do you have an easier time reviewing a book you are in awe of, or is it harder? I find that with the books I truly admire I worry about doing justice to the material, and that I may be missing something. A book of great depth tends to make me think of greater depths lurking if only I had the wit to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment